Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Project Santa Claus

Airi Yenke, OCU

Christmas is one of the most important events for our family. Ever since we had our little boy, it has become even more special than ever. Last year, I decided to give my husband a drone for Christmas. I knew that he had wanted to get one, and I also thought it would be the best gift idea for my husband, who is really a Peter Pan at heart.

On Christmas day, we hopped out of bed like it was a trampoline. We had waited to open our presents for so long. My husband waited to open his present last. My heart was thundering when he was ripping open the wrapping paper. The moment of truth arrived. His reaction was priceless. His first drone! He instantly became a kid again. However, tragedy soon struck out of nowhere.

Only a week after Christmas day, his drone went AWOL in the middle of a flight! I know these things happen, but I was devastated, because I wanted him to cherish and treasure it forever. I couldn't believe what had happened, but I could tell that he was even more disappointed in himself over losing his drone. For that reason, I decided to buy him a brand new one as a surprise.

It was a perfect Saturday morning. The sky was bright blue, like the ocean is here in Okinawa. The drone was delivered to our doorstep. He was relaxing, playing with his phone on the couch, and asked me what was in the box. I asked him to open it and see. It was like Christmas Day all over again.

He literally covered his face with both of hands when he realised it was a new drone! His face got all red. I think it turned out to be an unforgettable Christmas for both of us. I spent lots of my own money getting exactly the same model of drone, but it was absolutely worth it. Why? Because, I've gotten the warmest of feelings deep down in my heart, and isn’t that what everyone deserves on Christmas?


No comments:

Post a Comment